No parent wants their child to go through a dental emergency, but accidents happen, and it’s important to be prepared. So read on, and learn what you need to know about children’s emergency dentistry in Westchester in this blog from Miles of Little Smiles.
How Do I Know If My Kid Has A Dental Emergency?
Your child is having a dental emergency if they are complaining about serious oral pain and discomfort, or they are dealing with oral bleeding that doesn’t slow within an hour.
Common emergencies include loose or knocked-out teeth, cracked and broken teeth, bleeding gums, toothaches, and lost or pulled-out dental work, such as fillings.
It’s always better to be safe than sorry, so if you suspect that your kid is having an emergency, contact Miles of Little Smiles for help right away.
What Can I Do To Ease The Pain?
You can have your child take an over-the-counter medication like Motrin or Tylenol. Applying an ice pack to the outside of their mouth can also help with discomfort until you can see a dentist. Some issues, like a toothache, may also be treated with a topical numbing agent like Orajel.
These are not permanent solutions, however. You need to see an emergency dentist in Westchester like Dr. Mila Belgrade right away to get the care your child needs.
What Can I Do To Calm My Child?
First, make sure that you take steps to calm down and stay level-headed. If you panic after an emergency, your child will, too. Comfort your kid, and take their mind off the accident.
Contact Miles of Little Smiles right away to get a consultation, and reassure your child that the dentist will fix their issue as soon as possible. Come into our office right away to get the care your child needs to get relief from their pain and discomfort.
Safety Tips To Avoid Dental Emergencies
Wondering how your kids can avoid dental emergencies? Here are a few of our tips.
- Sports mouthguards – Your child should always wear a mouthguard to protect their teeth when participating in any contact sport like basketball, soccer, football, lacrosse, or other such activities.
- Proper at-home oral care – Proper brushing and flossing eliminates the risk of cavities, infected teeth, gum disease, and more.
- Routine preventive dentistry – Make sure you see Dr. Belgrade or Dr. Dikla Chazbani every six months for routine care to ensure your child’s mouth is healthy
- Minimize horseplay in dangerous areas – For example, don’t let your kids run around on a pool deck, or anywhere else where they’re likely to slip and fall. Use common sense, and do your best to keep your kids from doing things that could cause injuries to their mouth, head, and any other part of their bodies.
- Get help after any oral injury – Even a minor crack or cut to the mouth may cause further complications. If your child’s mouth is injured, see Dr. Belgrade or Dr. Dikla Chazbani right away to make sure their mouth is healthy and that they get the treatment they need.
Get Same-Day Emergency Care From Miles Of Little Smiles!
If your child is having a dental emergency in Westchester, NY, Dr. Mila Belgrade and Dr. Dikla Chazbani are here to help. At our office, we offer same-day appointments for kids of all ages. Contact us online or give us a call at 914-949-6655 to tell us about your situation, and get the help your child needs after a dental emergency.